Skip header

Your home in winter: Financial support

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 5 August 1953 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a 'Winter Fuel Payment'.

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you're eligible and you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

Most payments are made automatically between November and December. 

If you're eligible but don't get paid automatically, you'll need to make a claim.

To find out if you qualify or need to make a claim visit GOV.UK: Winter Fuel Payments or call Winter Fuel Payment Helpline on 0345 915 1515 or Textphone 0345 6060285.

Cold Weather Payment

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you're getting certain benefits.

You'll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below for 7 consecutive days.

The Cold Weather Payment scheme runs from 1 November to 31 March. 

You'll get a payment of £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

For more information please see GOV.UK: Cold Weather Payment.

The Warm Homes Discount

You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2017 to 2018 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

The money isn't paid to you - it's a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March.

For more information visit GOV.UK: Warm Homes Discount.

Warm Up North 

Warm Up North is an initiative by local councils in partnership with British Gas to improve the energy efficiency of homes in the North East.

Please note, Warm Up North is currently closed for new applicants. 

For more information visit .

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page