Skip header
Local Offer Banner

Housing support (SEN and Disabilities)

Community Care Assessment

For people who have a significant disability or learning disability, the best way to get appropriate support to help with housing options and independent living is to contact Adult Social Care on 0845 130 4959 to request a Community Care Assessment.

The allocated care manager can then liaise with the person and various agencies such as housing and health services, to work out the best way to meet an individual's accommodation and support needs.

In South Tyneside there are a variety of different types of housing and support available.

For more information or to discuss your options you can contact South Tyneside Homes on 0300 123 6633 or email

Options which might be available to young people:

  • living with parents, carers or friends
  • renting from the council, a private landlord or housing association
  • owning their own home
  • living in a home with support from staff who visit and help a person to manage independently (also called supported living)
  • residential care with constant support from staff
  • adult family placement

Housing support services

  • Name
    Adult Family Placement
    This service is provided by Adult Social Care and is where an adult with a learning disability is given accommodation within another person's home, who acts as a paid carer.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page