Most of their work is aimed at supporting families with young children, beginning in the ante-natal period.
Working with midwives and other healthcare professionals, Health Visitors help new parents prepare for birth and help them adapt to the time ahead.
In a child's early months and years, Health Visitors play an important role in supporting and educating parents on:
- Preventing illness through immunisation.
- The nutritional needs of infants, children and parents.
- Coping with minor illnesses.
- Behavioural issues, e.g. establishing good sleep patterns.
- A child's physical and developmental milestones.
For more information, or to contact a Health Visitor, call 0191 283 1508.