Skip header
Local Offer Banner

Moving to Adult Social Care

As a child becomes an adult (18 years +), important decisions and plans need to be made about the future.

A young person may need extra help from other agencies to develop and maintain their independence.

Support from Adult Social Care

Adult Social Care identifies needs for adults which make it possible for them to live their lives as independently as possible, for as long as they are able to do so. There are a number of ways that Adult Social Care can assist a person. Examples include:

  • Home Care
  • Day Services
  • Equipment to help daily living
  • Residential Care
  • Supported Accommodation
  • Direct Payments
  • Welfare Benefits Advice
  • Assistive technology
  • Adaptations to the home

How to get support from Adult Social Care

To get support from Adult Social Care a person must be 18 years or older.

If your child is already getting support from children's social services (such as the Children with Disabilities Team), it may have already been identified that your child will eventually need support from Adult Social Care. Your social worker will be able to tell you more about this and what will happen.

If your child has not had previous support from children's services, enquiries will need to be made with the Let's Talk Team. A representative will speak to you about your situation and talk to you about what your child's needs will be as a young adult.

Adult Services work closely with a range of other organisations, which include health services, housing organisations and private and voluntary organisations.

It may be that you just need information and advice, in which case someone from Adult Social Care will provide you with this information or signpost you to another service which can help you. However, if further help is needed, an 'assessment' of your needs may have to be carried out.

What is an assessment?

An assessment is a way of looking in depth at what a person's situation, wishes and needs are. It might just be a conversation between the person and the Care Manager, or it might be more complicated and involve parents/carers and other professionals.

The assessment looks at the person's:

  • daily routines and home environment
  • family situation and wider community
  • social activities
  • needs of their carers
  • health and safety

Once the assessment is complete, the Care Manager will work with the person to look at what plan of action needs to be taken and how this will be done.

Will I or the person I care for be able to get support?

When an assessment is carried out by Adult Social Care, the person's needs are considered in line with the Care Act 2014:

The authority has a duty to promote independence. Whilst an assessment may identify eligible needs - this does not always mean that a service will be provided. You may be signposted to services that you can arrange yourself, or community support.


How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page