Skip header
Local Offer Banner

Training and employment (special educational needs)

There is help available within South Tyneside for young people who have a Special Educational Need and have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

Your Connexions advisor will be able to support you with understanding the courses and programmes available.

They can help you with making an informed decision about what type of course or placement may be best for you and your long term goal.

SEND placements that require high needs funding such as study programmes, sixth forms and specialist college provision, are agreed and allocated by a multi-agency panel.

The Post-16 Panel considers your needs, goals, progression and outcomes recorded in your EHCP annual review to decide whether a placement is appropriate.

Skills South Tyneside

The Council's Skills Service offers a wide range of courses and support thousands of people every year to get into work.

Whether you're taking the first steps on your career path or getting back to work after a break in learning, we've got something for you.

Our courses have been carefully chosen in areas to provide you with the best chance of finding employment. From cabin crew to engineering, working in health and social care or in the business sector, or if you simply want to get ahead of the rest in an interview and develop the skills and knowledge to get the job you want, we have a variety of courses on offer to help you upskill or move into employment.

Eligible learners will be fully funded and will have nothing to pay towards the cost of the course.

Our specialist training providers are ready to talk to you to help you get on track, no matter what your needs and goals are.

More information can be found at Skills South Tyneside

Supported internships

These courses are aimed at developing employability skills and training predominantly within a work based vocational area to enable students to seek employment work and develop skills to remain employable.

Supported internships are structured study programmes based primarily at an employer. They are intended to enable young people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities to achieve sustainable, paid employment by equipping them with the skills they need for work through learning in the workplace. Internships normally last for a year and include unpaid work placements. Wherever possible, they support the young person to move into paid employment at the end of the programme. Students complete a personalised study programme, which includes the chance to study for relevant substantial qualifications, if suitable.

There are a number of supported internships available for young people in South Tyneside aged 16-24 year old with an Education, Health and Care Plan.

Project Choice

South Tyneside College

Gateshead College

Newcastle College

Apprenticeships and jobs

An apprenticeship is a genuine job and under all circumstances apprentices will be employed from day one. Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study.

An apprentice will:

  • work alongside experienced staff
  • gain job-specific skills
  • earn a wage and get holiday pay
  • be given time for study related to their role (the equivalent of one day a week)

There are a number of government work related training schemes and apprenticeships available.

Talk to your local Jobcentre Plus about what options are available.

You can also see a Connexions Advisor face to face at the Public Access Centre at Ocean Road Community Centre, South Shields. Opening hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, or call 0191 424 6630 to make an appointment.

Leisure and day opportunities

The young person, their parents and professionals involved may feel that college, sixth form, apprenticeships, or employment are not suitable options.

If this is the case day opportunities may be available.

For information on leisure opportunities that are available in the area for young people and adults, see Socialising and activities.

For those who need long term support, discussions should take place with the Let's Talk Team (Adult Social Care) about the services that are available.

Contact the Let's Talk team.

Useful websites

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page