Skip header
Local Offer Banner

Education 5-16 years (SEN and Disabilities)

The majority of children with SEN and/or disabilities go to their local mainstream school. This includes children who have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan (previously known as a Statement of SEN), and those who are on the school's SEN register.

For children who can't manage in a mainstream school, there are specialist schools in South Tyneside which cater for different levels/types of need.

How schools identify those with SEN

All education settings have a duty to identify children or young people with SEN, and should have a clear approach to assessing SEN, which is known by all staff.

Schools should first:

  • adapt their teaching to meet needs of the whole class
  • make sure that parents are fully engaged, consulted and informed, and agreement is reached on how the child's needs will be met
  • make sure that the child or young person is fully engaged, consulted and informed and agreement is reached on how their needs will be met

Many children who are not progressing as expected can be supported and have their needs met through:

  • teaching and learning strategies 
  • changes to teaching 
  • modification to classroom organisation 
  • ancillary equipment and aids

Those who have SEN and who need additional or different support than that provided, will need additional SEN support.

Additional SEN support

Additional SEN support includes:

  • a plan that focuses on what outcomes are expected and the support that the school, college and relevant agencies will provide
  • a review of progress should be held at least once a term

Before providing a child or young person with additional SEN support, an SEN assessment should be carried out by the education setting using all available information.

An SEN assessment might include:

  • attainment and historical information
  • the child or young person's development compared to their peers
  • information from parents 
  • if relevant, advice from external support services

It's the responsibility of educational setting to consult with parents, and, where appropriate, the young person, to decide whether a child or young person needs additional SEN support.

They must make sure that children and young people who get additional SEN support have an identified SEN and that their progress hasn't been held back by weak teaching or poor attendance.

If adequate progress is not made after a period of interventions, the parent/young person (over 16 years), the education setting, or professional involved with the child/young person can apply for a Statutory Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment. Only a small number of children/young people who have high level support needs will need an EHC Plan.

Find out more about Education Health and Care (EHC) Plans.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page