Skip header

School transport

What transport help can South Tyneside Council provide?

  • giving pupils passes to use on public transport
  • providing buses for use by school
  • arranging for pupils to travel in taxis, hired cars or a mini bus
  • providing an escort to allow a child with or without special educational needs to walk a short distance to school in reasonable safety, instead of making arrangements for a taxi to take them to and from school
  • pay a mileage allowance to a parent driving their eligible child to school

All of these arrangements need the consent of parents or carers.

Who is eligible for transport help?

  • children who can't walk to school because of their special educational needs, disability, or temporary medical condition
  • children who can't walk safely to school because of the nature of the route 
  • children who live more than 3 miles from their nearest suitable school (2 miles for pupils under 8 years)
  • primary pupils between 8 and 11 years from low income families* who attend a qualifying school more than 2 miles, but no more than 6 miles  from their home
  • secondary pupils between 11 and 16 years from low income families* who attend 1 of their 3 nearest qualifying schools more than 2 miles but less than 6 miles from their home
  • secondary pupils aged between 11 and 16 years from low income families* who attend the nearest suitable school preferred on grounds of religion or belief, where they live more than 2 miles, but not more than 15 miles from that school

*Children from low-income families include those entitled to free school meals, or whose parents are getting their maximum level of Working Tax Credit.

Please note - A pupil's home address is considered to be the one that is registered for the purpose of claiming Child Benefit or Working Tax Credit.

Where parents choose to send their child to a school other than the nearest suitable school with places, or choose to fund a place for their child at an independent school not named by the Local Authority in a Statement of Special Educational Needs, parents/carers will be responsible for any home to school transport costs.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page