Skip header

Overhanging trees and branches

Report overhanging trees or branches

Overhanging trees or branches can cause safety problems and be inconvenient.

You can report problem trees or branches on roads, pavements, or public rights of way such as a footpaths or bridleways.

Call our Contact Centre on 0191 427 7000 or email us at

What happens after a report has been made?

A Highways Inspector will visit the area, and if necessary, will send a letter to the owner or occupier of the property requesting the tree is cut back.

What if I receive a letter requesting I cut back a tree?

  • Cut back the tree or branches as soon as possible, ideally within 14 days of receiving your letter, and with a maximum period of 3 weeks.
  • When cutting back trees or branches, you should take care to make sure that any work carried out does not disturb nesting birds.
  • As they can grow back very quickly, please make sure the tree or branches are regularly maintained to avoid future issues.

What if I can't cut back the tree in the time given?

If there are exceptional reasons why you cannot arrange for the tree to be cut back in the time given, please call the telephone number provided on your letter to discuss the matter.

If the work is not carried out, the council can issue an enforcement notice on the landowner. This gives the owner 14 days to carry out the work, after which time the council may complete the work and charge the landowner fully for all costs incurred.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page