To apply for an allotment, you must be 18 years or over.
If you already have a council allotment, you will not be offered another if there are other people on the waiting list who do not have one.
1. Decide which site you are interested in
Firstly, decide which site you are interested in - see the map of allotments.
You can only apply for one allotment site.
2. Apply online
Complete the online application form:
Apply for an allotment
Once you have applied, usually your name will be added to a waiting list. Currently, there is a 4 to 8 year waiting list, depending on the allotment site.
If you move address after your application, let us know straight away by emailing email@example.com or calling 0191 424 7979.
3. Renew your application every January
You must renew your allotment application every year in January. Otherwise, your name will be removed from the waiting list.
To renew your application:
4. We will contact you to offer you an allotment
When your name reaches the top of the waiting list, we will contact you in writing to offer you the first vacant allotment.
When you are offered an allotment:
- Reply within 7 days of the offer - if you don't, your name will be removed from the waiting list.
- You need to sign the tenancy agreement at South Shields Town Hall within 7 days of the offer.
- If you refuse the first offer, we will offer you another allotment. If you turn down both offers, your name will go to the bottom of the waiting list.
When you have an allotment
- You must comply with the terms of the tenancy agreement.
- Tenancies are not transferable.
- Let us know when giving up the tenancy, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0191 424 7979.