Planning permission guidance (homeowners)
Check with the Council if you need planning permission
We recommend that you use the Planning Portal to check if you need planning permission first.
Householder Enquiry Service
You can use the Council's Householder Enquiry Service to check:
- if your proposal can be carried out as a permitted development
- if you need to follow the neighbour consultation scheme for larger single storey rear extensions (which cannot be used retrospectively), or
- if you would need to apply for planning permission
The service costs £50 (price includes VAT).
What the service will not do
You can not use the Householder Enquiry Service if work has already started or been completed.
It does not provide advice about:
- The acceptability of a proposal, if it needs planning permission, or how to change it so that it would be a permitted development
- Working from home, see Planning Portal: Working from home
- If you need specific advice about an unusual or complex householder development, see Check if you need planning permission (businesses and commercial developments).
Requests for advice may be made publicly available for Freedom of Information or Environmental Information Regulations requests.
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.
How to apply
- Complete the Household planning enquiry form
- Send your completed form:
- by email to email@example.com
- by post to Development Management (Planning), South Tyneside Council, Town Hall and Civic Offices, Westoe Road, South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE33 2RL
- Pay the fee:
- by debit card - call us on 0191 424 7440
- by cheque - make payable to South Tyneside Council and send it with your form
We aim to reply within 28 days, from the date we get your form and payment.
Lawful development certificate
You may choose to apply for a lawful development certificate.
This is not the same as planning permission, but can be used to get proof that your household building work is lawful for planning purposes.
For example, to prove that the work can be carried out as a permitted development.