Skip header

Registration information for food premises

If you operate food premises (including storage and distribution), you may need to be approved by South Tyneside Council.

Premises include:

  • Restaurants
  • Cafes
  • Hotels
  • Shops
  • Canteens
  • Market stalls
  • Mobile catering vans and
  • Food delivery vans
  • Meat processing & preparation plants*
  • Cold stores

(*Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by South Tyneside Council or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered).

If you wish to serve alcohol, or food after 11pm, please see our licensing section for more details:

Food premises approval

Food business registration

If you are unsure whether your business needs to be approved or registered, please contact us on 0191 427 7000 or

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page