Report dog fouling
Report it online, by calling the Council's Customer Contact Centre on 0191 427 7000 or by text to 07786 200 802.
Report dog fouling
Dog fouling is a big concern, not just because of the mess it causes, but because it can also be a health risk.
What are we doing?
The Council is committed to raising awareness about the issue of dog fouling and will respond reactively and pro-actively to reported incidents.
The Council is currently:
- installing bins where they haven't been provided previously- but, did you know you can use any public bin to dispose of your bagged dog waste?
- utilising Council and private CCTV / mobile phone material - to identify irresponsible dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs
- training officers on the street - Council and South Tyneside Homes officers are being trained to issue Fixed Penalty Notices, talk to people, encourage responsible dog ownership and hand out poop-scoop bags.
Did you know...
- Around 100 cases of toxocariasis are diagnosed each year in the UK
- Local authorities in the UK receive approximately 226,000 complaints about dog fouling every year
- The cost to British taxpayers of clearing up after dogs is around £2.3 million per year
- It is an offence for anyone in charge of a dog on public land to fail to remove dog faeces deposited by that dog
How are dog fouling incidents enforced?
The Borough of South Tyneside is covered by a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) which prohibits the fouling of land by dogs.
Allowing a dog that you own (or are in control of) to foul public land without picking it up immediately, is an offence that attracts a fixed penalty. A number of Council and South Tyneside Homes officers can enforce the Public Space Protection Order.
If you have photographic, CCTV or video evidence of a dog fouling incident, you can report it to the Environmental Health Team by calling 0191 427 7000 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the Public Space Protection Order see Public Spaces Protection Orders for dog fouling and dog control.