The Tyne Lifeboat, the world's second oldest lifeboat in existence and one of the North East's most important examples of maritime heritage, has been returned to Pier Parade, South Shields, after being away for 6 months to be fully renovated.
The lifeboat was built in 1833 and was handed over by the Trustees of the Tyne Lifeboat Institution to South Shields Corporation in 1884. It was placed on public display in the decorative canopy as a permanent reminder of the skill and bravery of the men of the Tyne Lifeboat Institution.
The intricate renovation programme has been delivered by a team of 30 volunteers from the North East Maritime Trust. Their investment of time, research and craftsmanship will be enjoyed by residents and visitors to South Shields for many years to come.
The vessel's site has been made complete as the cast iron canopy that shelters the historical boat has also been returned after renovation and new lighting to make the boat stand out at night.
For further information about this project please call South Tyneside Council Regeneration Team on 0191 424 6654.