A vision for South Shields Town Centre
The Council and its partners have developed a sustainable economic vision to breathe new life into the heart of South Shields through new opportunities for residents, businesses and visitors, ultimately realising our potential to be North East England's premier coastal resort 365 days a year.
South Shields 365
South Shields 365 is a bold economic vision, which was introduced by Cllr Iain Malcolm, Leader of South Tyneside Council.
In January 2013, South Shields Town Centre Vision document3.24MB was launched and the ambition is to create a vibrant town centre which will be a place of all year round cultural, leisure and retail activity for all.
Muse Developments, one of the country's leading names in urban regeneration, has developed exciting proposals in partnership with the Council to transform South Shields and provide lasting improvements to the way everyone uses the Town - from the shopping and leisure offer to the way people travel to, from and around the town centre.
These improvements include developing clear links with the Foreshore and Riverside, making it easy for all residents and visitors to fully enjoy everything South Shields has to offer.
The Riverside, the Town Centre and Foreshore
The Riverside, The Town Centre and the Foreshore each fulfil a different but complimentary economic role to South Shields.
Collectively these three areas provide a broad and exciting offer of commercial, leisure, cultural and retail opportunities for residents, visitors and businesses and the vision is to connect the three key areas. This mix gives South Shields a unique offer unrivalled amongst other coastal towns of a similar size in the North East. However, the town must continue to grow its offer, attract investment and build upon its environmental and townscape assets.
A review of the signage around the peninsula has been done, see South Shields Peninsula Legibility Study10.36MB.
Crucial to the future success is the need to knit these areas together and to ensure a seamless transition from one to another while still retaining their individual character and function. The Riverside, Town Centre and Foreshore must be viewed together if their long term sustainability is to be guaranteed. Understanding the character and function of these three areas and their economic relationships and interplay will be central to developing clear strategies for the future and give confidence and certainty.
South Shields 365 will transform South Shields and provide lasting improvements to the way everyone uses the Town - from the shopping and leisure offer to the way people travel to, from and around the Centre.
A clear vision for the future will give confidence and confirm that South Shields is 'open for business' to residents, visitors and the private sector as a place to invest and generate wealth and opportunity. Growing the Town Centre through investment with the private sector will improve and expand our retail and leisure offer providing a first class visitor experience that will help ensure the town is a destination of choice for shopping, entertainment and eating out 365 days a year.
20 year plan for South Shields
Within th next 5 years
Our vision is to grow the South Shields 'offer' and build on our successful Foreshore and Riverside.
The following few years will see the first stages of the towns transformation.
The first phase includes the construction of South Shields 365: The Word, National Centre for the Written Word as well as improvements to the South Shields 365: Market place and a new 40 space car park on vacant land at Harton Quays.
Within the next 5 years we will:
- create new opportunities for the development of new national and independent retail and leisure uses within the Town Centre
- improve the physical links within the town between the character areas of the Riverside, Town Centre and Foreshore
- improve the environment of the Town Centre by enhancing the public realm
- improve vehicle access by improving the bus station and better traffic management
- create attractive entrances to the town at key gateway locations including the Metro Station
- create opportunities to attract a quality hotel with conferencing facilities and associated food and drink to the Town Centre
- develop plans for a remodelled Market Square providing a hub for activities and linking the Town Centre with the Riverside
- create opportunities for new housing
- increase the visitor offer at the Foreshore by enhancing and expanding the facilities
- improve the overnight accommodation offer for both leisure and business visitors
- market our offer/assets and quality of place to the wider world
- continue our commitment to delivery
In the next 10 years
Within the next 10 years, our vision is to grow the South Shields 'offer' and build on our successful Foreshore and Riverside by achieving the following outcomes within the next ten years.
In the next 10 years we will have:
- a connected Town Centre and a sustainable local economy
- created a place of unrivalled quality in terms of its buildings, public realm and open spaces
- expanded the Town Centre shopping offer and attracted key national and appropriate niche and independent retailers
- developed a cultural programme of activities and events throughout the year which reinforce the identity of South Shields and attract increased visitor numbers
- expanded the visitor season and attracted more visitors from further afield who stay for longer
- developed an evening economy which is underpinned by being family friendly and of a high quality which meets the needs of all our residents and visitors
- attracted new residents to live in the town through new housing opportunities
In 20 years time
We have high hopes for the future and in 20 years time our aims for the town are clear.
Having a clear vision for the future gives confidence and confirms that South Shields is 'open to business' to residents, visitors and the private sector as a place to invest and generate wealth and opportunity.
In 20 years time we will be:
- an attractive and vibrant town, recognised nationally as a place where people will choose to live, do business, visit and spend their holiday time
- a place where the quality of life and place will attract investment and which has a range of services and activities which are second to none
South Shields 365 Master Plan
The Master Plan for South Shields 365 demonstrates how improved links between the Town Centre, Riverside and Foreshore will result in a positive visitor experience, and an altogether more cohesive and functional Town.
Master Plan in brief:
- Phase 1, The Word, National Centre for the Written Word, New Market Place and 40 space Car Park, opened in October 2016
- Phase 2, South Shields Transport Interchange, opened in August 2019
- Demolition work for phase 3 has already started with the improved retail and leisure offer in the town commencing in 2020
Once complete these plans will result in a Town Centre with stronger connectivity which will enhance the area and encourage visitors to stay for longer.
We will work with Muse Developments to deliver these improvements over the next 10 years to ensure that, in 20 years from now, South Shields will be:
- An attractive and vibrant town, recognised nationally as a place where people will choose to live, do business, visit and spend their holiday time
- A place where the quality of life and place will attract investment and which has a range of services and activities, which are second to none.