We are now consulting on the Pre-Publication Draft Local Plan from Monday 19 August to Friday 11 October 2019.
Local Plan Pre-Publication Draft (August 2019)3.3MB
Pre-publication Draft Local Plan Policies Map2.59MB
You can also view paper copies of the Draft Local Plan at the following locations during their usual opening hours:
- Boldon and Cleadon Community Library
- Boldon Lane Community Library
- Cleadon Park Library
- Jarrow Focus Library
- Library at Hebburn Central
- Perth Green Community Library
- The Word
- Whitburn Community Library
- South Shields Town Hall
- Jarrow Town Hall
Drop in events
We are holding a series of drop-in consultation events where you can speak to a member of the team:
- Monday 2 September 2pm - 8.30pm, Jarrow Focus, Cambrian Street, Jarrow, NE23 3QN
- Tuesday 3 September 2pm - 8.30pm, Haven Point, Pier Parade, South Shields, NE33 2JS
- Wednesday 4 September 2pm - 8.30pm, Lukes Lane Community Centre, Lukes Lane, Hebburn, NE31 2BA
- Thursday 5 September 2pm - 8.30pm, Hedworthfield Community Centre, Cornhill, Jarrow, NE32 4QD
- Saturday 7 September 10am-2pm, East Boldon Scout Hut, Rear of Grey Horse, East Boldon, NE36 0SJ
- Monday 9 September 2pm - 8.30pm, Boldon Community Centre, New Road, Boldon Colliery, NE35 9DZ
- Tuesday 10 September 2pm-8.30pm, Barnes Institute, East Street, Whitburn, SR6 7BY
- Monday 16 September 2pm - 8.30pm, Hebburn Central, Glen Street, Hebburn, NE31 1AB
- Tuesday 17 September 2.30pm - 8pm, Cleadon Methodist Church, Sunderland Road, Cleadon, SR6 7UT
- Thursday 19 September 2pm - 7pm, Whitburn Community Library, Hedworth Terrace, SR6 7EN
- Wednesday 25 September 5pm - 8pm, Boldon United Reformed Church, Front Street, East Boldon, NE36 0SD
- Monday 30 September 4pm - 8pm, Town End Farm Working Mens Club, Bexhill Road, Sunderland, SR5 4QD
Have your say
We would like to hear what you think of the policies and proposals in the Draft Local Plan.
To have your say, submit your comments in writing:
To allow your comments to be processed more efficiently, please complete and submit the Local Plan Pre-publication Draft Response Form44.09KB.
Paper copies of the response form are available from South Shields Town Hall and Jarrow Town Hall, and public libraries.
Comments must be received by 4.30pm on Friday 11 October 2019.
The main documents related to the consultation are below. For a full list of supporting documentation and evidence please see: Local Plan - Supporting Documentation.
South Tyneside Draft Local Plan Interim Sustainability Appraisal (August 2019)2.45MB
Draft Local Plan Interim Sustainability Appraisal: Appendix I1.01MB
South Tyneside Site Specific Sustainability Appraisal Appendix 1: Draft Local Plan Allocations (August 2019)23.4MB
South Tyneside Site Specific Sustainability Appraisal Appendix 1: Draft Local Plan Allocations (Part 2) (August 2019)6.85MB
South Tyneside Local Plan Site Specific Sustainability Appraisal Appendix 1: Boldon and Cleadon (August 2019)15.7MB
South Tyneside Site Specific Sustainbility Appraisal Appendix 1: Boldon and Cleadon (part 2) (August 2019)15.4MB
South Tyneside Site Specific Sustainability Appraisal Appendix 1: Fellgate and Hedworth (August 2019)14.39MB
South Tyneside Site Specific Sustainability Appraisal Appendix 1: Hebburn (August 2019)18.53MB
South Tyneside Site Specific Sustainability Appraisal Appendix 1: Inner South Shields (August 2019)10.21MB
South Tyneside Site Specific Sustainability Appraisal Appendix 1: Jarrow (August 2019)20.53MB
South Tyneside Site Specific Sustainability Appraisal Appendix 1: Outer South Shields (August 2019)15.32MB
South Tyneside Site Specific Sustainability Appraisal Appendix 1: Outer South Shields (Part Two) (August 2019)14.26MB
South Tyneside Site Specific Sustainability Appraisal Appendix 1: Whitburn (August 2019)9.55MB
South Tyneside Draft Local Plan Interim Sustainability Appraisal: Appendix J8.14MB
Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report (August 2018)1.85MB
Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report Appendix A: Plans, Programmes and Strategy Review1.36MB
Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report Appendix B: Baseline Data690.31KB
Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report Update: SA Appendix C: Character Areas1.3MB
Habitats Regulations Assessment of the South Tyneside Pre-Publication Draft Local Plan (August 2019)1.31MB
Statement of Community Involvement340.11KB
Statement of Community Involvement - Influencing the Local Plan525.52KB
Duty to Cooperate Position Statement (July 2019)2.91MB
Site Allocations Topic Paper - Appendix 1387.24KB
South Tyneside Site Allocations Topic Paper Appendix 2 Discounted Sites1.04MB
South Tyneside Site Selection Topic Paper800.32KB
The new Local Plan
Our new Local Plan is being prepared over the next few years and will comprise of:
Any community-initiated Neighbourhood Planning will also form part of the statutory development plan for those areas of the Borough.
Supporting advisory guidance in supplementary planning documents will be reviewed as necessary.
Local Plan Development Plan Document
Local Development Scheme422.67KB
What are the next steps?
After the consultation closes, we will consider all representations.
These will inform the next version of the Plan - the 'Publication Draft' - which itself will be consulted upon.
From there, any representations received will be considered and the Publication Draft Local Plan (together with any proposed changes) and all supporting information will be submitted to the Secretary of State.
An Inspector will be appointed who will then hold an independent examination of the Local Plan.
Who will make the final decision on South Tyneside's Local Plan?
The final decision on the Local Plan and the development it proposes will be made by an independent Planning Inspector, appointed by the Government, following the examination, likely to be held in mid- 2021.
The Council will then need to make the formal decision to adopt the Local Plan.
Frequently asked questions
For more information about the Local Plan, see Local Plan frequently asked questions.