Free local debt and money advice
There are three main organisations in South Tyneside offering free debt and money advice:
- The Welfare Support Service offers free, impartial money advice to anyone over 18 living in South Tyneside. The service can help with:
- Benefit advice and appeals
- Debt advice, including advice on bankruptcy and debt relief orders
- Support with budgeting
- Preparing for universal credit
- Welfare reform issues
- Citizens' Advice employs a number of money advisers offering free money advice and have debt and benefit specialists. They also offer free advice on a range of other legal issues, including employment, consumer, family and housing issues.
- Age Concern South Tyneside - Age Concern offers information and advice on debt, benefit and money issues for people over 50 in South Tyneside.
If you rent from a social landlord they may have a specialist benefit and debt support team - speak to your landlord to check if this support is available.