- How does it work?
- Types of equipment and how they work
- Apply for assistive technology
- Installation and repairs
Assistive technology (also known as telecare) can help you or someone you care for, to live safely and independently at home.
It is useful for people living with:
- physical disabilities
- memory problems
- learning difficulties
- mental health problems
Please call 0191 455 5523 for information on equipment prices and how to pay for the service.
Benefits of assistive technology
People who use assistive technology experience a range of benefits, including:
- feeling safer and more confident in their own home
- feeling safe and secure out in the community
- being able to remind themselves to do daily tasks like washing, bathing, cooking, cleaning, and gardening
- removing worry and giving peace of mind to their families or carers
- reducing the chance of hospital admissions e.g. as a result of a fall
- reducing the need for residential care
Next page: How does it work?
Request support for yourself, a friend or relative
Need to talk to someone for advice about the right support for you, a friend or relative?
Our team of trained advisers is here to help guide you to the right support to help you remain independent.
This could include connecting you to facilities and resources that are available in your community, finding care support services that you can arrange yourself, or accessing care support from the Council if eligible.
Email the team at LetsTalk@southtyneside.gov.uk or call 0191 424 6000.
We want your feedback on our website
We are constantly working to improve the information on our 'support and care for adults' web pages.
Please take a couple of minutes to let us know about your experience using these web pages.
Website feedback survey
Please note: This survey is anonymous, so please do not provide any personal information such as your name and address.