Skip header
Living Better Lives (ASC)

Care alarms and sensors

Care alarms and sensors can support you to live safely and independently at home despite increasing frailty, ill health or dementia.

'Telecare' is the widely-used term for this range of technologies. The technology can provide peace of mind because it enables families, carers or, in some cases, social care staff from the Telecare Team, to respond quickly if anything goes wrong when you are on you own.

These simple pieces of technology can make a big difference to your quality of life and, in many instances, save you the effort of having to move home, either into sheltered housing or a care home.

What can be monitored?

Using special sensors, telecare products can alert family or carers if you were to:

  • have a fall
  • leave your home or an agreed place
  • forget to take your medicines

Telecare alarms will also raise an alert if you have:

  • a fire in your home
  • a leak of gas or carbon monoxide
  • a small flood from an overrunning bath, for example, or a leaky washing machine


Experience shows us that people who use telecare experience a range of benefits. These include:

  • Feeling safer and more confident in their own home
  • Ensuring help is summoned quickly in an emergency at home or when they are out and about
  • Maintaining their ability to rely on themselves to do daily tasks like washing, bathing, cooking, cleaning, and gardening
  • Giving reassurance and peace of mind to their families or carers
  • Reducing the likelihood of going in to hospital
  • Reducing the need to have someone come in to support them at home or having to move into a care home

Who can use telecare?

Telecare is especially useful for people living with:

  • physical disabilities
  • memory problems
  • learning difficulties
  • mental health problems

How does it work?

Small, discreet electronic sensors installed throughout your home allow your relatives or carers to reassure themselves you're OK when you're at home alone.

The movement sensors tell the person you have nominated whether you're up in the morning, moving around your home as usual or in bed at night. If they spot anything out of the ordinary, they can check with you to ensure you've not had a fall or become ill.

The information is sent from the sensors to your nominated person's smartphone or tablet computer via mobile telephone networks, meaning there's no need for the internet or access to wifi.

Sometimes Adult Social Care will use this equipment to help to inform discussions and decisions about how best to support a person at home.

For more information on these products please visit Canary Care or Just Checking

Finding the right Telecare for you

Find products with 'AskASARA'

You can find out more about what type of Telecare is right for you by visiting AskSara, where you can answer a simple questionnaire to guide you to information, advice, products or services to suit your particular requirements and aspirations.


What help can the Council provide?

The Council's Let's Talk team will help you to find support to maximise your independence and achieve the things that matter to you.

This could include connecting you to facilities and resources that are available in your community, finding care support services that you can arrange yourself, or accessing care support from the Council.

This may include speaking to an occupational therapist. Occupational therapists work across a range of situations including health, housing, and social care.  They work with people to enable them to carry out the activities and roles (occupations) that they need, want or are expected to do in their daily lives. When this ability is affected by the impact of ill health or disability, they will support people to achieve their chosen goals.

People have differing challenges so support from occupational therapy can include:

  • Offering advice on managing everyday tasks, such as washing or going to the toilet or getting around your home without slipping, tripping or falling
  • Recommending specialist equipment to help with activities, such as getting in and out of the bath or on and off the toilet
  • Organising minor alterations or major adaptations to your home, such as installing stair rails, ramps or a stair lift. Who funds and organises the adaptation work will depend on who owns the properties. The occupational therapist will be explain this and make necessary recommendations to the relevant team or housing provider.
  • Providing advice and information about other forms of support such as handypersons to help maintain or change things in your home

Contact the Let's Talk team on 0191 424 6000 or by email at

If you would like to speak to someone face-to-face we can offer appointments in a community base such as The Word and Hebburn Central.

Apply for a care alarm

You can apply for a care alarm for yourself or for someone you know.

Apply for a care alarm

Or, you can download care alarm application form81KB to complete by hand.


Request support for yourself, a friend or relative

Need to talk to someone for advice about the right support for you, a friend or relative?

Our team of trained advisers is here to help guide you to the right support to help you remain independent.

This could include connecting you to facilities and resources that are available in your community, finding care support services that you can arrange yourself, or accessing care support from the Council if eligible.

Email the team at or call 0191 424 6000.

We want your feedback on our website

We are constantly working to improve the information on our 'support and care for adults' web pages.

Please take a couple of minutes to let us know about your experience using these web pages.

Website feedback survey

Please note: This survey is anonymous, so please do not provide any personal information such as your name and address.

    How would you rate the information on this page?

    Share this page