If you struggle to prepare meals or go to the shop to buy food, there are ways you can get support, including:
- home delivery from supermarkets - you can order online, or some supermarkets offer home delivery from store - find out more about Support with food shopping
- help from family, friends or a carer to prepare meals or go shopping
- many local restaurants will deliver hot meals
- equipment may help you to manage meals independently, for information on equipment for cooking and preparing food, go to Living Made Easy (find general information about Equipment and changes to your home environment)
Meal delivery services
There are companies that will deliver meals to your door.
You can choose from a wide range of nutritionally balanced frozen ready meals and desserts. These companies can cater for a range of specialist diets.
Two companies that offer this service are:
How it usually works:
- Order by phone or online (no minimum order)
- Meals are delivered frozen
- You can pay with cash
- Drivers will unpack into your freezer if needed
There are many more companies who offer mobile meals, see below for a list.
Need advice about the right support for you, a friend or relative?
Our team of trained advisers is here to help guide you to the right support to help you stay independent.
This could include connecting you to facilities and resources that are available in your community, finding care support services that you can arrange yourself, or accessing care support from the Council if eligible.
Email the Let's Talk team at LetsTalk@southtyneside.gov.uk or call 0191 424 6000.