Skip header

Support for carers: Your career

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

If you are an informal carer and are worried about how to care for someone during coronavirus (COVID-19), there is information, advice and support available to help you.

For more information see Coronavirus (COVID-19): Information, advice and support for informal carers.


  1. Overview
  2. Your health and wellbeing
  3. Financial support
  4. Your career
  5. Your future
  6. Support groups
  7. Support services

Your career

Working carers

You might find it hard when you're in employment and caring for someone, but work can be important for your wellbeing, income and social life. 

If you care for someone, you don't need to leave paid employment.

You should speak to someone about what other options are available and think carefully before giving up work to care for someone.

Work gives you financial security, time away and a sense of identity, separate to your role as a carer.

Speak to your employer about your caring role

You should let your employer know about your caring role.

They might have a Carers' Policy or be open to finding new ways to support you. They might also have a flexible working scheme. 

You should find out about your rights and any support that is available to you.

You have the right to take unpaid time off to deal with emergencies involving someone who depends on you, and to make necessary arrangements.

Starting work or returning to work

  • Jobcentre Plus
    Ask about the support available from Jobcentre Plus for learning opportunities, training courses and careers advice if you are not in work. They can also advise on funding for other care so you can take part in training.
  • National Careers Service
    The National Careers Service has advisers who can provide advice, information and guidance on skills and learning. You can get help to search for your first job, get back into work or change career direction.
  • South Tyneside Adult Carers Service (STACS)
    If you need help with the cost of any courses, South Tyneside Adult Carers Service (STACS) can help you search for any local grants.
  • Turn2Us
    You can do a more general grants search with Turn2Us who have a database of organisations who give out grants.
  • Timewise Jobs
    A jobs board specialising in part-time jobs and roles that are open to flexibility, for people with skills and experience. They have a dedicated place for carers where you can get ideas and guidance on how to find work to fit with your caring responsibilities, and access to flexible jobs and employers.

Next page: Your future

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page