Skip header

Youth Justice Service FAQs for parents

Can I get help with my child's behaviour?

Yes, you are able to get support from the Youth Offending Service (YOS) on a voluntary basis. You will need to speak with your child's Case Manager and they will make a referral to our Parenting Officer or give you advice on where you can sought advice / help.

How often will I get support?

This depends on your individual needs. You may only require one session or support over a period of time.

How long will my support last?

If you attend a Parenting Programme a review will be held at the end of the programme. This will enable you to discuss what progress has been made and whether you feel you need further support. If further support is required then a decision will be made between you and the Parenting Officer as to what support is needed and you will provide it.

If you are receiving 1:1 support from the Parenting Officer your case will be reviewed every 4 weeks to assess what progress has been made. At 12 weeks a decision will be made regarding what further support is required and which service will provide it.

Will my support stop when my child's order ends?

If you are attending a Parenting Programme then you are encouraged to complete all sessions and then attend your review, which is mentioned above.

If you are receiving 1:1 your plan will be reviewed as mentioned above.

Where will my support take place?

If you are attending a Parenting Programme the venue will be within South Tyneside. You travel costs will reimbursed.

If you are receiving 1:1, depending on your circumstances your appointments may be at your family home or YOS office or a combination of both. Should another venue be required then this can be discussed.

Who can get a Parenting Order?

A Parenting Order can be made in the following circumstances against the parent/carer of any child who is brought into court for an offence:

  • When a child is made the subject of an Anti-Social Behaviour Order or a Sex Offender Order.
  • When a parent/carer is prosecuted for their child's poor attendance at school.
  • When a child is made the subject of a Child Safety Order.

Any parent or carer that a young person lives with can be given a Parenting Order - so this may include a step-parent.

A parent who is not living with, but is in regular contact, may also be issued with a separate order.

What happens when a Parenting Order is made?

When a Parenting Order is made, the parent/carer should give their details and contact number to the representative of the Youth Offending Service (YOS) who is in court.

How does the court decide to make a Parenting Order?

When making an order, the court must only consider the evidence before them at the prosecution.

Does the parent/carer have to be in court?

A Parenting Order can be made without the parent/carer being present in court, but it is better if they can attend because, if asked, they can express their views.

What will happen if the parent/carer does not keep to the conditions of the order?

If the parent/carer does not give genuine reasons for this, they will be in breach of the order. This means the parent/carer will first be given a written warning and, if they still fail to keep to the conditions of the order, a meeting will be called to review the situation.

If, after these procedures, the parent/carer still does not comply with the order, they may be taken back to court. If this does happen, the parent/carer will be subject to further proceedings, resulting in a criminal conviction, which could be a fine of up to £1000 or an Adult Community Sentence.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page