Skip header

Hate crime

Hate crime.  Recognise it.  Report it.

What is a Hate Incident or Hate Crime?

A crime or incident committed because of who you are or who someone thinks you are.

It could be because of your age, disability, sexuality, race, religion/belief, ethnicity, gender (including gender identity) or someone or a group of people targets you, commits a crime against you, bullies you or harasses you, then this is a hate crime or hate incident.

This may include:

  • Verbal abuse or insults
  • Offensive graffiti
  • Threatening behaviour - including offensive letters, abusive or obscene calls, emails or texts
  • Damage to property
  • Assault
  • Cyber bullying
  • Taking money from you
  • Physical attack
  • Offensive leaflets and posters, hate mail, abusive gestures, dumping of rubbish outside homes
  • Harassment, bullying or victimisation
  • Arson or attempted arson
  • Noise nuisance

Hate incidents can happen anywhere

  • At home
  • At work
  • At school, college or university
  • In the pub
  • At the shops
  • On the street

Why is it so important to report a Hate Crime or Hate Incident?

Hate incidents and hate crimes are under-reported. We need to understand the problem so that the right decisions can be made to stop you or a member of your family and friends from becoming the next victim.

Without knowing that these issues are taking place, we can't stop them happening to you or someone else. Reporting these issues helps us and other organisations track the extent of the problem in your local area and do the right things to make your community safer and make sure the right support is available.

The right support means we can stop victims feeling isolated, depressed, frightened, distressed or even worse taking their own life.

Report it today! 0191 427 20 20

What support is there?

South Tyneside Council is working with other organisations including the Police and South Tyneside Homes to help prevent further hate incidents.

Support is tailored to the needs of each victim which may include emotional support, practical support or advocacy.

We can also provide you with assistance in reporting a crime to the Police and in attending court, but there is no pressure to do this.

Even if you do not need support yourself, it is still important for us to know what incidents are taking place in the Borough and where.

Where appropriate, we will also signpost and refer to other services.

Who can I contact?

  • Call the Police direct on 999 if you are in immediate danger, or 101 for non-emergencies.
  • Ring (0191) 427 20 20 to report an incident to South Tyneside Council and South Tyneside Homes. Calls are treated confidentially and you have the option to remain anonymous.
  • You can also report via email to: Emails are checked daily by the team and will be sent to the correct department.

If you are in immediate danger please ring 999 immediately.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page