Skip header

Local Welfare Provision (crisis support)

South Tyneside Council offers a Local Welfare Provision scheme. This replaces the national system of community care grants and crisis loans provided by the Department for Works and Pensions.

What support is available?

South Tyneside Council offers two types of support:

Crisis expenses

If you have a financial crisis, you can apply for help with your daily living expenses (for up to seven days). This includes:

  • Food
  • Baby milk and nappies
  • Heating
  • Electricity

Community care support

Community care support can help you to stay in your home, or move into a new home, after living in supported or unsettled accommodation. For example, we can help you if you're leaving a care home or prison, if you or if you are a family experiencing exceptional financial pressure. Typically we help with the cost of:

  • Beds/cot
  • Refurbished white goods (for example, cooker, fridge, washing machine)
  • Floor coverings for living areas and bedrooms
  • Travel costs in extreme situations

To be eligible for support, you will need to demonstrate that you have exceptional needs and have exhausted all other avenues. You will need to be on means tested benefits (or have applied for these) to be eligible for community care support and we will check this with the Department for Work and Pensions. This however does not apply to crisis expenses however you will be expected to provide firm evidence of your situation to us before we would offer you any support. We will check the information you provide with other people - for example, Department for Works and Pensions, your social worker or support worker. Support is available to South Tyneside residents only.

The Local Welfare Provision scheme features: 

  • No cash payments -we will provide eligible people directly with refurbished goods (other than bed bases, mattresses and carpets) and services.
  • Stricter rules about repeat applications - you will need to have engaged with support services available in the borough to apply again.

How do I apply?

You can apply by:

  • Completing an application form via an online terminal at one of our Customer Service Centres at South Shields Town Hall, The Word, Hebburn Hub or Jarrow Town Hall.
  • Apply online 
  • Requesting an application form by emailing  
  • Contacting our local welfare provision team on 0191 424 6040 to complete an application over the phone or to request a form to be sent out to you.

Opening Hours

  • Monday - Thursday, 9am - 5pm
  • Friday, 9am - 4.30pm

Please note there is no out of hours service for Crisis Support and a decision on an application will only be made during opening hours. We will provide a decision on your crisis application within 24 hours. For applications made by 12.30pm we will usually provide make a decision by 4pm that day. For applications made after 12.30pm a decision will usually be made on the next working day.


How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page