Skip header

Change in circumstances / address

How to report a change in circumstances/address


Fill in this online form:

Report a change in circumstances / address



Ring the Benefit team on 0191 424 4333.

In person

Call into the customer service centres.

By post

Post a letter to Benefits Section, Hawthorne, Rolling Mill Road, Viking Business Park, Jarrow, Tyne and Wear, NE32 3DP.

Any documents posted to the council will be returned by second-class post.

The Benefits Service will not accept responsibility for the loss of any documents sent by post.

We recommend that you bring any valuable documents to one our offices.

When do I need to report a change in circumstances?

  • If there is a change in your income, your partner's income or the income of any non-dependants who live with you
  • If someone joins or leaves the household
  • If you have to leave your home
  • If you have to go into hospital or claim for someone who goes into hospital
  • If you have to go into residential care or a nursing home
  • If you change your address

Please note: Telling the Benefits team of a change does not mean that they will automatically tell the Council.

You must also tell the Council about any change in your circumstances in writing as soon as it happens.

It is always better to tell us of any changes in your circumstances because they may affect your entitlement to Housing Benefit and / or Council Tax Support.

If you have been paid more than you are entitled you will have to pay this back.

When will my benefits change?

If the change will mean that we will pay you more benefit, we will only amend your claim from the Monday after you tell us about it, unless you tell us within 1 month of the change.

If the change will mean that we will pay you less benefit, we will amend your claim from the Monday after the change (this may mean you have been paid too much and we need it back).

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page