Skip header
Children's centres

Help with childcare costs

Childcare grants for full time students

Full-time students with dependent children up to age 14 (or 16 where they have special needs) can apply for help with their childcare costs, as long as they are using registered or approved provision.

Students with dependent children may also receive an income-assessed Parents' Learning Allowance of up to £1,400 per year regardless of the type of childcare used.

The Childcare Grant and the Parents' Learning Allowance do not affect entitlement to benefits. However, the parent cannot apply for the childcare element of Working Tax Credit if they are receiving this grant.

How do I find out more information?

For more information you can contact the Student Finance information line on 0845 300 5090 or visit Student Finance

Special educational needs and disabilities childcare

Following an assessment, if you have parental responsibility for a disabled child, direct payments can be used for a variety of services which offer your child stimulation, new experiences and independence.

These include:

  • Short breaks
  • Nursery placement providing specialist support for your child
  • Assistance to attend an activity, for example a youth club
  • Personal care

South Tyneside Council is also in the process of developing the Aiming High Programme, which aims to improve the provision of short breaks for disabled children.

How do I find out more information?

You can contact South Tyneside Council's Direct Payments officer on 0191 424 4644

For more information about South Tyneside's Aiming High Programme, call 0191 424 4635

For more information about Direct Payments, please see Direct Payments

For more information about special educational needs and disabilities, please see Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Childcare support for young parents in further education 

Support for young parents in further education is available through Care to Learn, which pays for registered childcare for parents aged under 20 who attend training or a course at a school or college.

Childcare costs of up to £155 per week, which includes travel expenses to and from a registered childcare provider, can be claimed.

The childcare provider will receive payment direct from Care to Learn. Any funding to help with travel costs will be paid directly to the learning or training provider regularly and they will reimburse you.

How do I find more information?

You contact Care To Learn by calling their helpline on 0845 600 2809 or visit Care To Learn 

Or, you can speak to an advisor at South Tyneside Connexions service on 0191 424 6334.

Childcare support for working parents

Tax-Free Childcare

Tax-Free Childcare is a government scheme to support working parents with their childcare costs. 

Find out more about Tax-Free Childcare

30 hours free childcare for 3-4 year olds

Working parents of 3-4 year olds may be entitiled up to 30 hours of free childcare. This is an additional 15 hours of childcare on top of the 15 hours universal entitlement for all 3-4 year olds.

Find out more about 30 hours free childcare for 3 and 4 year olds

Help paying for childcare

You can now find a straightforward explanation of all government childcare support on the new Childcare Choices website:

How would you rate the information on this page?

  • Families Information Service
  • Town Hall and Civic Offices
    Westoe Road
    South Shields
    Tyne & Wear
    United Kingdom
    NE33 2RL

  • 0800 783 4645

Share this page