Skip header

Registering a death

Make an appointment to register a death

To make an appointment to register a death at South Tyneside Register Office, call 0191 427 7000 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm). 

Outside of the above times, call 0191 455 6111.

  • You should register the death within 5 days
  • You can report a death to any register office, but if you use the deceased's local office you will be given the documents necessary for the funeral on the day
  • If you use a different register office the deceased's documents will be sent to their local register office

For all other enquiries, call the Register Office on 0191 424 6350.

When booking an appointment, let us know if you would like to make use of the Tell Us Once service.

How long will it take?

Your appointment with the registrar will last approximately 30 minutes.

Who can register a death?

You can register the death if you are:

  • a relative
  • someone present at death
  • owner of property the death took place in
  • an administrator from the hospital or care home
  • the person making arrangements with the funeral director

What you need to register a death

Bring along the medical certificate showing the cause of death (signed by a doctor) with you.

If available (but not essential) also bring the person's:

  • birth certificate
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • driving licence
  • NHS medical card
  • passport
  • proof of address (e.g. utility bill)

Please note:

When a death is reported to a coroner
If the deceased was reported to a coroner and the coroner felt it necessary to conduct an investigation into the circumstances of the death, they will issue a document to the registrar with the cause of death. It is advised that you check the document is with your registrar office before visiting because you can not register the death until the coroner gives permission.

Dealing with a death abroad
You must register a death with the local authorities in the country where the person died.

South Tyneside register office will assist in obtaining the necessary documents to bury or cremate a body abroad in the UK. For more information about deaths abroad and funeral arrangements see Citizens Advice: Deaths abroad.

What the registrar needs to know

The registrar will see you in private to ask you for the following details about the deceased:

  • date of death
  • place of death
  • first name
  • surname
  • date of birth
  • town of birth (or country outside of England or Wales)
  • occupation
  • address at time of death
  • date of birth of surviving spouse or civil partner
  • National Health Service number (if available bring medical card)

If the deceased was in receipt of a pension or allowance from public funds, for example, Civil Service or army/war pension, details will be required.

  • in case of a married woman additional details needed
  • maiden surname
  • husband's first name (s)
  • husband's surname
  • occupation of husband (if retired state previous occupation)

Please note: You should take supporting documents that show your name and address (e.g. utility bill) but you can register a death without them.

You may also have to inform the deceased's GP of the death if they are unaware.

It is very important that the information registered is correct. The register is a legal record and it is difficult to correct at a later date. Please check spellings and dates carefully.

Registering a death costs and the documents you will receive

The only cost involved is when you need certified copies of the death certificate for personal purposes (e.g. to wind up the deceased's estate). Each copy attracts a statutory fee Register Office fees

Registering a death is free and after you register a death you will receive two documents.

  1. a Certificate for Burial or Cremation (the 'green form') - giving permission for burial or an application for cremation and needs to be given to the funeral director
  2. a Certificate of Registration of Death (form BD8) - you may need to fill this out and return it if the person was getting a State Pension or benefits (the form will come with a pre-paid envelope so you know where to send it)

Request a copy of a death certificate

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page