- Opening days and times
- Visiting the market
- Changes to the market for COVID-19
- COVID-19 guidance for market traders
- Getting here
- Apply to be a market trader
- Make a complaint about a market trader
Opening days and times
- Saturdays, 9am to 4pm (traditional market)
- Fridays, 9.30am to 3pm (flea market)
The traditional Monday market is closed until further notice.
For information on what is available at the market go to, Visit South Shields Market.
Visiting the market
If you have any symptoms of coronavirus, do not visit the market.
If you do visit the market, please follow social distancing rules, practice good hygiene, use hand sanitiser and wash your hands regularly. See government guidance on staying safe outside your home.
Changes to the market for COVID-19
We have done a risk assessment to make sure the market can open safely in line with government guidelines around social distancing and to help stop the spread of coronavirus.
These changes are in place:
- Changes to the layout - stalls are arranged in rows on the south side of the market square, in the space in front of The Word
- Enclosed market area - with safety barriers, separate entrance and exit points
- One way system - markings are on the ground to help shoppers stay apart
- New signs
- Trader only areas
- Hand sanitiser stations
- Stewards to advise and help visitors follow the new guidance
- Clear route for pedestrians crossing the Market Place - no market stalls in the space between King Street and the Ferry terminal
COVID-19 guidance for market traders
Read the guidance for market traders.
South Shields market is close to the South Shields Ferry terminal which links to North Shields. The Metro station is nearby.
Apply to be a market trader
You can apply online to be a market trader.
You may also need a market stall licence.
Make a complaint about a market trader
You can make a complaint about a market trader online.