Skip header

Cornthwaite Park

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

The Government has ordered communal places within parks such as playgrounds to close.

Parks will remain open but only for individuals and households to exercise once a day. Communal spaces within parks such as playgrounds and football pitches will now be closed.

Those using the park will have to adhere to the national guidance on social distancing and make sure they distance themselves by 2 metres from other people. Please remember that public gatherings of two or more people are not allowed.

Facilities

  • Bowling greens
  • Car park
  • Multi use games area
  • Pavilion
  • Play area
  • Tennis courts

History

Cornthwaite Park was established in 1953 after the Council bought open land then known as Church Fields. It was named after a local councillor. It has an attractive, formal air with neat flower beds, planters, ornamental tree planting, undulating grass and meandering tarmac footpaths. The park also has a children's play area, bowling green and tennis courts.

In 1991 a bronze statue of the Victorian author Lewis Carroll along with a figure a little girl he was reading to was stolen from Park. Carroll's figure was recovered and today stands in Whitburn Library, but the girl remains lost. It is generally accepted that Lewis Carroll wrote The Walrus and the Carpenter while holidaying at his cousin's house, High Croft, in Whitburn.

In 2012 a wooden sculpture of a dolphin by local chainsaw artist Tommy Craggs was placed in the corner of Cornthwaite Park.

Activities at Cornthwaite Park

There are no items to display

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page