During World War 1, John Jarvis (1876 - 1950) from Surrey was an advisor to the government on labour relations and shortly afterwards visited Jarrow, which had been hit badly by the Great Depression.
During the 1930's many people were unemployed and Jarvis launched an appeal named the "Surrey Fund" to help build local amenities in Jarrow. The fund eventually raised £40,000, which was used to buy materials to enable men in Jarrow to continue working on tasks, such as constructing playgrounds and sport facilities. The majority of the money raised was used to employed the unemployed men to create Monkton Dene Park and build its tennis courts, bowling greens and a paddling pool. Trees were planted as well, among those were, Ash, White Hornbeam, Witch Elm, Lime and Poplar. The stretch of Dene from York Avenue to Butchers Bridge is called the John Jarvis Park.
On 4th December 1950 the trees from York Avenue to Lukes Lane Estate were planted to commemorate the Festival of Britain.