A large park with a lot of open space.
The park is named after John Clay who was born in South Shields in 1802. He was the son of John and Mary (nee Donkin) Clay.
Clay married Margaret Davison, daughter of a shipbuilder, Thomas Davison. He and his family lived in several houses locally, at Laygate and at Cleadon.
In 1850 Clay became the first Mayor for South Shields Borough Corporation.
For 16 years, Clay was the also the manager of the South Shields branch of the Northumberland and Durham District Bank, established in 1836.