In Medieval time Cleadon Park land was linked to the lands of Harton and Cleadon manors and is likely to have been used as farmland.
The history of the park is closely tied to the industrial heritage of the area - quarrying, ownership by glass manufacturer, lime kilns. The land was once owned by a local coal merchant, James Kirkley and agent to the Harton Coal Company, who commissioned the design of the existing park, including The Dell and other elements of the formal park design.
Cleadon Park Mansion was once the home of James Kirkley. The original building was an old farm house, which was converted into a mansion in the classical style by John Dobson in 1845. The house was very large standing in its own grounds surrounded by trees. After 1907 James Kirkley hired JH Morton & Son, as architects to create a new palm house, tropical plant house and terrace and formal gardens. In The Dell there is a perfect example of a Victorian tiered garden, which are very rare. Cleadon Park Manson eventually became Cleadon Park Hospital and later a Sanatorium. The building was demolished in 1981.
Part of the Park included Cleadon Quarry and it workings including its own lime kilns. The quarry was out of use by 1855 and the lime kilns were out of use by 1895.
Cleadon Park has been a public park since 1918 after the Council bought the land from the Ministry of Health. The former Cleadon quarry was filled in and levelled to provide ground for the football pitches.
In 2011 the Friends of Cleadon Park were awarded £40,000 from the Big Lottery Community Spaces Fund for improvements within the park. Also as part of the Government's Playbuilder Program, £50,000 was spent on the play area.