The park was given to the town by Robert Readhead (1843-1922) in 1921.
Robert Readhead was born in South Shields in 1843, being the eldest son of Alderman John Readhead, founder of the firm of John Readhead and Sons Limited, shipbuilders, engineers, and graving dock owners.
Robert served his apprenticeship under his father, he became head of the engineering department and one of the directors.
In 1909 he retired from active participation in the business, and devoted his energies more exclusively to public work. For more than forty years he served on various local bodies, and was Mayor for four years. He was also a borough and county magistrate, and a River Tyne Commissioner from 1897.
Robert died at home in Westoe, South Shields, on 24 July 1922, in his seventy-ninth year.