Hebburn Central Pool Safety Code
Join in January and get one month free
We are offering one month free on all new duo and multi leisure memberships in January.
1. Ready for exercise
- Take advice from your doctor if you have heart trouble or other medical conditions such as Epilepsy, Diabetes or Asthma and notify staff if you suffer from any of these conditions.
- Don't swim straight after a meal or if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- For extra safety swim with a companion.
- Only swim within your limits.
- Weak or non-swimmers must remain within their standing depth of water.
2. Follow the rules
- Look out for safety notices around the pool areas.
- Always follow the Lifeguards instructions.
3. Pool awareness
Be aware of the pool environment, for example:-
- Check water depths and how the pool slopes. Customers should note that water depths will vary in the Teaching Pool due to the provision of a moveable pool floor and should therefore always check the water depths.
- Pool surrounds can become slippery - don't run on them.
4. Be sensible
- Boisterous behaviour, ducking and bombing can be dangerous.
- Avoid holding your breath.
- Don't attempt long distances under the water.
- Always avoid shouting as it can distract others in an emergency.
5. Child Admission Policy
Children under 8 years old MUST be accompanied in the water by a person aged 16 years or over and this person should be responsible and competent to ensure the safety and wellbeing of any child in their care.
Our adult to child swimming ratios are:
- Children aged 0 to 4 years - 1 adult : 1 child
- Children aged 5 to 7 years - 1 adult : 2 children
- Children aged 8 years + - No supervision needed
- Children under supervision who are weak or non-swimmers must remain in shallow water at all times and in close proximity to the adult accompanying them.
6. Play equipment and water features
- During certain periods, inflatable play equipment and water features are present in the pool. When using this equipment be sensible, safe and follow instructions given by Lifeguards.
- Snorkels, Face-Masks and Flippers are not permitted during public sessions.
- Children under 8 years must be under adult supervision when using the Bubble Pools.
7. Diving and jumping in the pools during public sessions
- No Diving in the Teaching Pool.
- Diving is permitted in the Main Pool into water depths of 1.5m and above.
Jumping (feet first entries)
- Jumping into the Main Pool and Teaching Pool is permitted where the water depth is 1.0m and above.
- No jumping from the raised section of the poolside at the shallow end of the Main Pool.
- No running jumps.
- Only appropriate swimwear is permitted.
- In exceptional circumstances, items of clothing may be permitted at the discretion and approval of the pool management.
- Use the toilet and have a shower before entering the pool.
- Outdoor footwear must be removed or shoe covers worn in changing areas and on the poolside.
10. Help the Lifeguards
- Always be aware of others in the pool and watch for children and non-swimmers. Attract the attention of Lifeguards if you think someone is in difficulty and assist whenever possible by remaining calm and following instructions given to you.