Skip header

Housing financial help

Housing Benefit

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you're on a low income. For information, see Housing Benefit.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments are payments made in addition to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, if we consider that additional help with housing costs is needed.

To find out more and to apply see Discretionary Housing Payments.

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) 

LHA is help with the cost of rent and affects private tenants. See Housing Benefit for private tenants (Local Housing Allowance).

Financial support during winter

For information about cold weather payments, winter fuel allowance and the warm homes discount, see financial support during winter.

Government affordable home ownership schemes

For information about Help to Buy schemes and more, see GOV.UK: Affordable home ownership schemes

Need help or advice?

The South Tyneside Homes Homefinder Service can help with:

  • general housing and application advice
  • assistance for people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness
  • mutual exchange
  • dedicated Young Persons Advisor
  • advice and guidance on private rentals
  • and more

See South Tyneside Homes: Homefinder service

Unfortunately, due to a lack of funding there is currently no financial help available from the Council for property repairs, first time buyers or empty homes.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page