What is expected of a landlord?
In all cases the law requires that the landlord inform the council of the following:
- When the tenant is no longer living in the property even though they may still have the tenancy
- When the tenant ends their tenancy
- If a tenant moves between rooms in a property, which is let on a rooms basis
- When someone else moves in to live with the tenant or his or her family
- The landlord becomes aware of the fact that the tenant has started work or that there has been another change, which could have an effect on the award of housing benefit
Please remember that it is a requirement of the law that the landlords pass on this information to the council.
Failure to do so could result in prosecution.