What can the council tell a landlord?
The Data Protection Act requires that we protect client confidentiality.
By law we are not allowed to tell landlords or agents any details concerning the personal circumstances of a claimant.
If payment is being made to the landlord or we have a signed declaration regarding ' sharing information with your landlord' we will be able to confirm only the following points with the landlord.
- That direct payment is being made
- The start date and/or end date of the award
- The amount of entitlement (but not how it is calculated)
- The reduced amount of award should there be a recovery of an overpayment
- Changes in the amount of housing benefit awarded
- The method and frequency of payment
Payments will generally be made direct to the claimant.
We would therefore recommend the declaration regarding ' sharing information with your landlord' be completed to help us deal with the claim more quickly and reduce the risk of rent arrears due to the claim being delayed.