Skip header

Who can claim housing benefit?

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you're on a low income.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you're unemployed or working.

To be entitled to housing benefit, you must:

  • live in the UK
  • occupy the dwelling as your home
  • be liable to pay rent for the dwelling
  • not have savings or capital of over £16,000

Housing benefit is not available if you:

  • are in a co-ownership scheme
  • own your own home or are buying your own home
  • are in a nursing home or residential care home
  • are a full time student in higher education (unless you are in an exempt category, for example single parents, disabled students etc.  Please contact the benefit team for further details)
  • live in the same household as and, have to pay rent, to a close relative, in-law or employer

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit which has started to replace some benefits - including housing benefit. 

For information, see Universal Credit.

How would you rate the information on this page?

  • Benefits
  • Hawthorne
    Rolling Mill Road
    Viking Industrial Park
    Tyne and Wear
    United Kingdom
    NE32 3DP

  • 0191 424 4333

Share this page