Skip header

How to claim housing benefit

How to make a claim

To claim, contact the Benefits Section on 0191 424 4333.

  1. A benefits advisor will complete an application over the phone with you. Please remember to answer all the questions fully and provide as much information as you can.
  2. The advisor will then arrange for you to visit a Customer Service Centre at a time convenient to you in order to sign your application and provide any evidence needed.
  3. Any delay in signing applications or providing the evidence will result in a delay in your benefit being paid.

You may also be entitled to Council Tax Support.

Do you receive Universal Credit? 

If so you will need to contact the Department of Work and Pensions, Universal Credit Customer Service Centre on 0345 6000723. 

Information we need from you

To process your claim for Housing Benefit we will need to see proof of:

  • identity for both you and your partner
  • national insurance number for you and your partner
  • all income for you and your partner
  • capital for both you and your partner
  • rent if you rent from a landlord or housing association

We always need to see original documents. Copies will not be accepted.

Proofs can be brought to Customer Service Centres at Jarrow or South Shields Town Halls or can be posted to:

Benefits Section
Hawthorne House
Rolling Mill Road
Viking Industrial Park
Tyne and Wear
NE32 3DP

Any documents posted to the Council will be returned by second-class post.

The Benefits Service will not accept responsibility for the loss of any documents sent by post.

We recommend that you bring any valuable documents to one of the Customer Service Centres.

Remember benefit will not be paid until all the required information is provided. Only original documents will be accepted.

How would you rate the information on this page?

  • Benefits
  • Hawthorne
    Rolling Mill Road
    Viking Industrial Park
    Tyne and Wear
    United Kingdom
    NE32 3DP

  • 0191 424 4333

Share this page