Skip header

Skip permit

To put a builder's skip on a public road, you need a permit from South Tyneside Council.

Apply for a permit

Apply for a skip permit

Extend or renew your licence

Apply to extend or renew your skip permit

See also: Skip permit forms and documentation776.5KB

Application evaluation process

When evaluating your application we will:

  • Consider where the skip will be placed (please provide a map showing where the skip will be located)
  • Check that the skip operator is registered with South Tyneside Council
  • Consider the size / dimensions of the skip and the width of the road (you should include the length and width of skip in your application)
  • Check that you have proof of public liability insurance with a minimum cover of £5 million

Will tacit consent apply if I haven't heard back from you?

No. It is in the public interest that the Council must process your application before it can be granted. We aim to process your application within two working days of receiving your completed application (including all required documentation). If you have not heard from the Council within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or contact Highways Maintenance on 0191 427 7000.

How do I appeal if my application isn't approved?

Please contact South Tyneside Council in the first instance.

How do I appeal against the conditions of my licence?

Please contact South Tyneside Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaints

If you have a complaint, we advise that you contact the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice.

From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page