Skip header

Skip operator's licence

If you operate a skip hire business or own skips, you need a permit from South Tyneside Council to put a builder's skip on a public road.

The council registers operators who wish to hire out skips to the building trade or the public that may be placed on the public road.

See: Skip permit forms and documentation776.5KB

Application evaluation process

The operator will need to carry adequate public liability insurance and be a registered waste carrier.

Will tacit consent apply if I haven't heard back from you?

No. It is in the public interest that the council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or contact Highways Maintenance on 0191 427 2540.

How do I appeal if my application isn't approved?

Please contact South Tyneside Council in the first instance.

How do I appeal against the conditions of my licence?

Please contact South Tyneside Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaints

If you have a complaint, we advise that you contact the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice.

From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page