Skip header

Cooling towers

Notify the Council

If you control non-domestic premises you must ensure that you notify South Tyneside Council of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises.

Notification must be in writing (including by electronic means) on a form approved by the Health & Safety Executive.

Cooling tower notification

Notify the Council of any changes

You must notify the council of any changes to the notification information within one month of the change, in writing.

If the device ceases to be a notifiable device you must notify the council in writing as soon as possible.

Cooling tower notification - change

Will tacit consent apply if I haven't heard back from you?

No. It is in the public interest that the council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or contact Commercial Services on 0191 424 7922.

How do I appeal if my application isn't approved?

You should contact South Tyneside Council in the first instance.

How do I appeal against the conditions of my licence?

You should contact South Tyneside Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaints

If you have a complaint, we advise that you contact the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice.

From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page