Skip header

Street traders

If you trade in the street you may need a street trading licence.

Applications should be made in writing (including by electronic means) to your South Tyneside Council, or the district council for the area you wish to trade.

You must provide specific information, including details of the street you wish to trade on and the days and times you wish to trade.

You may also be required to provide two photographs of yourself.

You must comply with any conditions attached to a licence.

List of consent streets550.6KB

Application form88.5KB

Street traders assistant application form87.5KB

Eligibility criteria

You must be over 17 years of age to hold a licence.

Licences will be refused if any of the following grounds exist:

  • There isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users
  • You wish to trade for less days than any minimum required trading days
  • You are unsuitable to hold a licence do to any previous convictions or for other reasons
  • You have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence

Application evaluation process

Under certain circumstances if certain grounds for refusal exist the council may still award a licence but for fewer days than require, or to allow trade in certain items.

The council will either grant the application or serve a notice on you within a reasonable time.

The notice will be served if the council intend to refuse the application, grant it on different terms than those applied for, confine trading to a particular place in a street, vary conditions of a licence or revoke a licence.

The notice will detail the grounds for their decision and state that within seven days of the notice you can request in writing the opportunity to make representations.

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

If your application is successful and we have received all of the necessary documentation, your application will be processed within twenty working days.

Will tacit consent apply if I haven't heard back from you?

Tacit consent cannot apply because the law requires you to have a permit from the Local Authority. The Council will process your application within twenty working days. If you would like to check on the progress of your application, please contact contact the licensing team on 0191 424 7695 or by emailing

How do I appeal if my application isn't approved?

Please contact South Tyneside Council in the first instance.

How do I appeal against the conditions of my licence?

Please contact South Tyneside Council in the first instance.

Consumer complaints

If you have a complaint, we advise that you contact the trader, preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice.

From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other appeals

There is no legal right of appeal against refusal of a street trader's licence, however, you may write to the licensing section and request that the decision is reviewed.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page