Skip header

Motor salvage operator registration

If your business consists of wholly or partly recovering for re-use or sale of salvageable parts from motor vehicles and their subsequent sale or other disposal for scrap of the remainder of the vehicles concerned and associated activities, you must register with South Tyneside Council.

For information about fees please contact the Licensing Section via

Eligibility criteria

Application form to be completed together with a police vetting procedure.

Application process

An application form must be completed together with a police vetting procedure. When the relevant fee and complete application are submitted the registration will commence for a period of three years. At the end of that period, registration will cease, unless a renewal notice and the relevant fee are received before the end of that period.

People engaged in the above activities must keep certain records in either electronic or manual form and be located at or accessible from the registered place of business. Please contact us for further details of these if required.

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

If your application is successful and we have received all of the necessary documentation, your application will be processed within five working days.

Will tacit consent apply if I haven't heard back from you?

Tacit consent cannot apply because the law requires you to have a permit from the Local Authority and the Council must carry out additional checks before the application can be considered. The Council will  process your application within five working days. If you would like to check on the progress of your application, please contact contact the Licensing Team on 0191 424 7695 or by emailing

Failed or refused application

In the event of a failed or refused application please contact the council's licensing team in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made by you to the trader - preferably in the form a letter or e-mail (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked contact the Council. Alternatively, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Public register

Available on request.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page