Skip header

Product safety

Urgent recall of faulty home use sunbeds (27 November 2018)

Hartlepool Council has supplied information regarding an urgent product recall of faulty sunbeds, which are supplied to members of the public by Carlton Leisure Ltd trading as Golden Brown Sunbeds, Murray Street, Hartlepool.

Sunbed safety warning - Hartlepool Council234.3KB

To some extent we all take the safety of items we use around the house for granted however the trading standards service is working with manufactures, importers and retailers to make sure that we can literally sleep easy in our beds.

We enforce safety legislation on a wide range of products including toys, upholstered furniture, carry cots, pens, pencils, electric blankets, child car seats and second hand items. We do this by investigating complaints, carrying out inspections and submitting test purchases to experts to have them tested.

Product safety

Trading Standards are accountable for enforcing the laws relating to the safety of goods we purchase.

We are able to inspect shops & markets for the safety of goods on sale, petrol stations and public houses to guarantee the accuracy of weighing and measuring equipment. If unsafe goods are found on sale we have the authority to remove these goods from sale.

We work closely with our partners within Trading Standards Metrology Lab who offer services such as a public weighbridge, toy testing, electrical testing of portable appliances, calibration testing and trade weights and measures.

Examples of safety problems include:

  • Sharp points or edges on toys
  • Small parts on toys which could choke
  • Toys with toxic metals such as lead in the paint
  • Badly constructed electrical items including Phone Chargers & Laptop Batteries
  • Window Blind Cords and Curtain Cords
  • Candle Safety

The law

The law says that:

  • New and second hand goods sold by a trader must be safe
  • The supplier must ensure they are safe to use for their normal purpose.

It is our responsibility to make sure the law is respected. We do this by:

  • inspecting trade premises
  • testing samples of different goods
  • investigating consumer complaints.

What can I do if I think something is unsafe?

If you have bought a product that you think is unsafe or you know a trader who is selling goods you believe to be unsafe, email and we will look into the matter.

Where can I get further advice?

The Citizens Advice consumer service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues. Call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 040506.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page