Mockingbird Family Model (a new way of providing foster care)
How it works
One foster home acts as a 'hub home'.
Carers in the hub home will get training from Mockingbird trainers from The Fostering Network.
The hub home offers support to 6 to 10 foster homes, known as 'satellite homes'.
The families are all supported by a liaison worker from the Fostering Service at South Tyneside Council.
This network of support is known as a 'constellation'.
It can include:
- children and young people living with foster parents (foster homes)
- children living with other family members or friends (kinship homes)
- homes with adopted children (adoptive homes)
- links to young adults living independently after leaving care (independent living)
- links to birth families and other people that are important to children's wellbeing
Families will usually live near to the hub home.
Each group will have a variety of families and children's age ranges, just like a typical extended family.