Apply for a secondary school place
- September 2023 school admissions
- COVID-19 update - appeals
- Timetable for secondary school admissions
- Open evenings
Applications for September 2023 secondary school places are open.
Applications close at 4.30pm on Monday 31 October 2022.
We will send an acknowledgement email by the end of December 2022 to confirm that we have received and are processing your application. If you completed a paper application, you will receive an acknowledgement letter through the post.
If you need to speak to someone about school admissions, please contact the School Admissions team on 0191 424 7706 / 7767 or email@example.com.
For more information please read the information for parents / carers booklet.
Appeals for most schools in South Tyneside have restarted.
Appeal hearings are taking place remotely.
- Friday 9 September 2022, 8.30am
Applications are available. We recommend that you apply online.
- Monday 31 October 2022, 4.30pm
Deadline date for applications to be received. Any applications received after this date will be considered as 'late' applications. Online system is not available after this date.
- By the end of December 2022
If you completed your application, you will be sent an acknowledgement to confirm that we have received and are processing your application. If you applied online, you will receive an acknowledgement to your email address. If you completed a paper application, you will be sent an acknowledgement letter through the post.
- Wednesday 1 March 2023, 8.30am
'Offer Day' - You will be told which school your child has been offered. If you applied online, you will get an email. If you completed a paper application, a letter will be sent to you by 2nd class post.
- Friday 10 March 2022, 4.30pm
Deadline for you to:
- accept the school place offered (for oversubscribed schools only)
- request to put your child's name on a waiting list
- request an appeal form
- Wednesday 15 March 2023
Any places that have become available will be allocated from the waiting list in criteria order.
- Thursday 16 March 2023
Appeal forms sent out where requested.
- Friday 31 March 2023
Where parents have not accepted the school place offered for oversubscribed schools, we will withdraw the offer of the school place.
- Friday 28 April 2023
Deadline for appeal forms to be returned.
- June 2023
Appeals to be heard.
Open evenings give you and your child the opportunity to gain a good overview of the school by meeting staff and pupils, and gathering information about the school.
Attending an open evening does not guarantee your child a place at the school.
Open evening dates below are correct as of Thursday 4 August 2022.
- Boldon School - Thursday 22 September 2022, 5.30pm to 8pm
- Harton Academy - Thursday 13 October 2022, 6pm to 8pm
- Hebburn Comprehensive - Wednesday 21 September 2022, 6pm to 8pm
- Jarrow School - Monday 26 September 2022, 6pm to 8pm
- Mortimer Community College - Wednesday 14 September 2022, 6pm to 8pm
- St Joseph's Catholic Academy - Thursday 29 September 2022, 6pm to 8pm
- St Wilfrid's RC College - Wednesday 28 September 2022, 6pm to 8pm
- Whitburn Church of England Academy - Thursday 6 October 2022, 6pm to 8pm
Sixth Form open evenings
- Harton Academy - Tuesday 15 November 2022, 6pm to 8pm
- St Joseph's Catholic Academy - Thursday 17 November 2022, 4pm to 6pm
- St Wilfrid's RC College - Thursday 24 November 2022, 6pm to 8pm
- Whitburn Church of England Academy - Thursday 3 November 2022, 6pm to 8pm