Council Tax discounts

Types of discounts

Single Person Discount

If you live on your own, you may be entitled to a 25% discount.

Apply for or cancel Single Person Discount online

Disregarded discount

You may be eligible for a discount if you or someone who lives with you is:

  • a full time student, student nurse or apprentice youth training trainee
  • a person caring for someone on state benefits (for more than 35 hours a week) who is not their spouse, partner or son/daughter under 18
  • over 18 and still entitled to child benefit
  • a patient living in hospital, nursing or care home
  • receiving care elsewhere
  • an eligible care worker (not all care workers will be eligible for the discount)
  • a resident of hostels for the homeless or night shelters
  • a person in detention
  • a member of a recognised religious community
  • a foreign diplomats
  • a spouse of a foreign student
  • a foreign language assistant
  • a member or dependant of the armed forces visiting the country
  • a member or dependant of an international headquarter or a defence organisation

How to apply

You can apply for a disregarded discount online.

Apply online for a Council tax discount

People with disabilities

If you or someone who lives with you has a disability, and your home has been adapted to meet their needs, you may qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax bill. This is known as a disabled reduction.

How to apply

You can apply for a disabled reduction online.

Apply online for a Council tax discount

People with severe mental impairments

If you are classed as suffering from a Severe Mental Impairment, or care for someone who does, you may be eligible for a discount or exemption on your council tax.

To be eligible, you must have a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which has been diagnosed by a doctor and which appears to be permanent. This can include Dementia, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, or severe learning difficulties. 

How to apply

To apply for a severe mental impairment council tax discount, download and complete the application form.

The form needs to be filled in by you and your doctor and returned to South Tyneside Council.

The completed form can be handed in to a contact centre at either South Shield Town Hall or Jarrow Town Hall. 

You can also return the form by post to Revenues Team, South Tyneside Council, Hawthorne, Rolling Mill Road, Jarrow, NE32 3DP.

Leaving care discount

Young adults leaving the care of South Tyneside Council, are entitled to 100% Discount, while they live in South Tyneside, until the age of 25.

How to apply

For more information and how to apply for a Leaving care discount, please contact the Council Tax team on 0191 424 4330.

Empty properties

If you own an empty property or second home, the amount of Council Tax you pay will depend on the following classes.

Class AFurnished properties/second homes which have a restricted use e.g. holiday chaletsFull Council Tax
Class BFurnished properties/second homesFull Council Tax
Class A and B exceptionLiable person living in defined job related accommodation50% discount
Class CEmpty and unfurnished properties (if empty and unfurnished for more than 2 years, will be charged an Empty Homes Premium)Full Council Tax
Class DEmpty and in need of or undergoing structural alteration or major repair (if empty and unfurnished for more than 2 years, will be charged an Empty Homes Premium)Full Council Tax
Class EEmpty due to occupant living in job related armed services accommodationFull Council Tax
Class FEmpty properties which form part of another property that is in use e.g. an empty annexe in an occupied homeFull Council Tax

If your bill shows that a discount or exemption has been allowed, you must tell the Council of any change of circumstances which effects your entitlement. If you fail to do so, you may be required to pay a financial penalty. 

Empty Homes Premium

Properties that have been empty and unfurnished for over 2 years will attract an additional Council Tax charge. Owners of these properties will be liable to pay 200% Council Tax. For properties that have been empty and unfurnished for 5 years or more, this will increase to 300%.

There are some circumstances where an empty homes premium cannot be applied;

  • Properties that are currently classed as exempt from Council Tax
  • An empty dwelling which is the sole or main residence of a member of the armed forces who is absent from the property as a result of such service
  • An unoccupied annexe in a property which is being used as part of the main dwelling in a property

Exempt properties

Some properties are exempt from Council Tax. These include both occupied and unoccupied properties and include:

  • properties occupied solely by students
  • properties which are vacant following the death of the occupier, where relatives are waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (these properties continue to be exempt for a further six months)
  • unoccupied properties owned by a charity
  • properties left unoccupied because the liable person is receiving care elsewhere

For this full list of exempt properties, see Exempt properties.

Annexe discount

Annexes that are occupied by the owner of the main building or by members of their family may be entitled to a 50% discount.

For more information and how to apply, please contact the Council Tax team on 0191 424 4330.

Other help available


If you are on a low income, you could qualify for council tax support.

If you are a tenant you may be able to claim Housing Benefit.

Other reductions 

In some cases, subject to affordability, the Council can reduce the amount of Council Tax that needs to be paid. These are only for cases where an exceptional situation happens which outside the control of the taxpayer and national discounts or exemptions cannot be applied.

For more information please contact the Council Tax team on 0191 424 4330.