Local Development Framework (LDF)
The South Tyneside Local Development Framework (LDF) is our current Local Plan and guides the future development and use of land in the borough over the next 10-15 years, having replaced our previous Unitary Development Plan (UDP).
The LDF comprises a portfolio of statutory Development Plan Documents (DPD). Along with national policy and guidance, its policies set the basis for assessing all planning applications and development proposals. They are supported by non-statutory guidance in our series of Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD).
Development Plan Documents (DPD)
Core Strategy[pdf - 2Mb] (adopted June 2007)
- Core Strategy Key Diagram[pdf - 439kb] (A3 print size)
Development Management Policies[pdf - 3Mb] (adopted December 2011)
South Shields Town Centre & Waterfront Area Action Plan[pdf - 2Mb] (adopted November 2008)
- South Shields Town Centre & Waterfront AAP Proposals Map Inset[pdf - 5Mb] (A1 print size)
- covers Riverside (see also Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD)) and Foreshore
Central Jarrow Area Action Plan[pdf - 3Mb] (adopted September 2010)
- Central Jarrow AAP Proposals Map Inset[pdf - 1Mb] (A1 print size)
- covers Jarrow town centre, riverside and Bede's World
- note: The UK's nomination of the Wearmouth-Jarrow twin monastic site to become a World Heritage Site was formally withdrawn in January 2014 at the recommendation of ICOMOS and UNESCO, and subsequent agreement of central Government and Sunderland and South Tyneside Councils.
Hebburn Town Centre Area Action Plan[pdf - 1Mb] (adopted October 2008)
- Hebburn Town Centre AAP Proposals Map Inset[pdf - 3Mb] (A2 print size)
- covers Hebburn Town Centre area
Site-Specific Allocations[pdf - 1Mb] (adopted April 2012)
- Site-Specific Allocations Proposals Map[pdf - 7Mb] (A0 print size)
- covers the remaining non-AAP parts of the borough
Please note: the originally-proposed TyneWear Regional Employment Site Area Action Plan was discontinued at draft stage.
Our Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD) provide supporting advisory guidance on sustainable construction, green infrastructure, affordable housing, planning obligations, parking standards, travel plans, South Shields riverside regeneration area, householder developments, conservation areas and local heritage assets.
To buy copies of our LDF documents and maps, please see our Publications and fees.