Council Logo

How to find a home

find-a-home.jpgThese pages will tell you what options are available to you when finding a home and what to do if you are having problems with your landlord, or the people you live with.

Your main choices when finding a home are:

  • Council housing
  • Housing associations
  • Private housing

Council housing

Your Choice is a choice-based lettings service which lets you choose which property you want to apply for.

Information about available properties is released every Thursday and can be found in Local Housing Offices and on the South Tyneside Homes website:

South Tyneside Homes: Applying for a home

Adverts and the bidding process close on Monday at 12noon. If you have been short listed then you will be contacted within three days.

If you have not been contacted within three days, your application has not been successful.

Application forms are available from the Customer Contact Centre (South Shields Town Hall), any housing office or can be downloaded from the site.

Housing associations

Housing associations and Registered Social Landlords (RSL's) are committed to providing affordable housing for rent and low cost home ownership.

You can apply directly to housing associations and RSL's for housing.

Housing associations in Tyne and Wear.

Private housing

Properties in the private rental sector are advertised in local newspapers, letting agents and estate agents.

With private housing, you are expected to pay a bond or deposit, and sometimes provide references. You will be normally offered a six month short-term assured tenancy, with an option to extend this at the end of the period.

South Tyneside Council have the South Tyneside Private Rented Project, which offers advice and support to people in the private rented sector. This programme is made up of The Private Rented Accreditation Scheme, the Letting Agent Accreditation Scheme and The Good Tenants Scheme.