Council Logo

Giving notice of marriage

Giving notice of marriage means you are declaring that you are both free to marry each other and fulfil other requirements prescribed by law. You may do this up to one year before the day of your wedding.

You will need to make an appointment to give your notice(s) of marriage with the Register Office(s) in the district(s) where you both live. When you give your notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar you will be asked for:

  • The date and place of marriage
  • Your full name
  • Age
  • Marital status
  • Occupation
  • Address and
  • Nationality

You will be asked by the Superintendent Registrar to produce documents which confirm the use and spelling of your names and also confirm your current address.  Please contact the register office for advice.

If you have been previously married either in this country or abroad, you will need to produce documents to confirm that you are now free to marry. These could include either a divorce decree absolute bearing the Court's original stamp, or the death certificate of your former husband or wife.

Any documents produced from abroad must be originals and any foreign documents should be accompanied by an English translation. You should be aware that photocopies will not be accepted.

If you are under 18 years of age you may need to have consent from your parents or guardians. For further enquiries please contact your local Register Office.

When to register

As soon as possible

The law specifies that the minimum waiting time between giving notice of intended marriage and getting married is 28 clear days. Both parties to the marriage must also have lived in their respective districts for at least 7 days before notice of marriage is given. Each person must attend, in person, at the Register Office for the district in which they live to give their notice of marriage. When both notices of marriage are given on 1 June, the marriage may take place on 30 June of the same year.

Please ring 0191 424 6350 for an appointment to give notices of marriage when you will be advised which documents you will need to produce.

Within the next twelve months

Details as shown above, and the marriage may take place between 30 June of that year and 1 June of the following year.